Back to results

Swimming champ Jess breaks records internationally

Over the term break, Year 10 student Jess competed in two major swimming competitions in Australia and New Zealand, breaking personal and race records and winning her first medal in an Open Age individual event.

Jess at the Australian Open Short Course Swimming Championships
Australian Open Short Course Swimming Championships

Jess' first competition of the term break was held in Sydney in September. ‘The Australian Short Course Championships were a really good opportunity, as I was racing girls that were a few years older than me, making me push myself harder to keep up with them,’ Jess said.

Jess, who is just 16 years old, won her first medal in an Open Age individual event at these Championships.

Jess received the following medals:

• Silver medal – Women’s 100m Backstroke. Jess secured a personal best time of 59.85 seconds.
  • Gold medal – Women’s 4x200m Freestyle Relay (representing her Nunawading Swimming Club)
Swimming New Zealand Tri Series

In the second week of the holidays, Jess flew over to New Zealand with the Victorian Team for the 3-day Tri Series, held in Hawke’s Bay. Jess was selected to represent Victoria, competing against teams from New Zealand and Western Australia in five race sessions.

‘Every day was different over the three days of competing,’ Jess said. ‘There were so many different lessons and skills that I learnt, from how I manage myself at competitions in a team environment, to how to fuel my body with the right foods. Overall, the week was amazing, and I made many new friends.’

Jess recorded a huge number of wins and even a race record time in the 50m backstroke.

• 1st Women 50m Backstroke (Race record and personal best time of 28.27)
  • 1st Women 200m Backstroke
  • 3rd Women 100m Backstroke
  • 1st Women 4x50m Freestyle Relay (Victorian team)
  • 1st Women 4x50m Medley Relay (Victorian team)
  • 1st Women 4x100m Freestyle Relay (Victorian team)
  • 1st Women 4x100m Medley Relay (Victorian team)

Congratulations to Jess on her recent successes.