Back to results

Wesley Tennis creates history with back-to-back dual premiership win

Wesley Tennis left nothing on the court this season, breaking the College and APS Sport competition record books with back-to-back premiership wins for both the Boys and Girls Firsts tennis teams.

The Wesley Tennis Program has achieved remarkable success over the past six years, with the girls winning four premierships in the last five years - the last three in a row, and the boys taking home two premierships in two years.

Head of Wesley Tennis, Lauren Breadmore (OW2001), is in awe of their performance. ‘We are incredibly proud of our athletes and the passion, dedication and maturity they have brought onto the court each week.  This talented group of individuals have worked hard to not only improve their skills, but develop the attitude, mindset and culture needed to perform as a team each week.’

‘The success Wesley Tennis has achieved is a result of students, coaches and parents working collaboratively as a team to achieve our goals,’ said Lauren. ‘We congratulate all team members, which include ten students in their final year at the College. A special mention must go to our Captains, Oliver and Madeleine, who were impeccable role models, and Vice Captains Will, Helena, Sienna and Brooke who played an integral role in the success of our teams.’

Boys Firsts Captain, Oliver, has been playing tennis since he was six years old. He was selected for the Wesley Firsts in Year 7 and this is his second year as Captain.

‘Last year was the first time that Wesley Tennis has achieved a dual premiership, with both the boys and girls tennis teams winning at the same time.  We had never gone back-to-back, dual either, so this was a real motivator for us,’ said Oliver.

‘It feels like our efforts at training and on match days have paid off and we have been able to accomplish something that no team before us was able to accomplish.  Now that we’ve done it, it’s something we’ll remember for the rest of our lives,’ he said.

Girls Firsts Captain, Madeleine, started playing tennis at 11 years of age, later than most of her teammates. Just like Oliver, she made the Firsts team in Year 7 and was named Captain this year.

‘It feels incredible winning the premiership three times in a row, the fourth premiership we have won during my time at Wesley,’ said Madeleine. ‘This team feels like one big family and being able to share this experience with such motivated and determined girls is a dream come true. I think I appreciate winning the title more this year because I’m older and I understand the work it has taken to get here. The last match was really emotional, not just for those of us in Year 12, which shows the extent of the relationships that have been built,’ she said.

Oliver agrees: The culture on the team was great. Having fun with players from all year levels at training and on matchdays helped to keep morale high, but being able to flip the switch and be fully focused during training and execute on game days was crucial to our success this season,’ he said.

Both Captains are grateful for the professional coaching services and support provided by Xsoar Perform (@xsoarperform), who have worked collaboratively with Wesley Tennis to help the program go from strength to strength over the last six years.

‘I would like to thank Lauren Breadmore and all of the Xsoar coaches who worked with players across both teams and set an amazing example both on and off the tennis court,’ said Oliver.

Madeleine agrees. ‘I’ve never met a more dedicated group of people. The coaches are so invested in our development as both players and individuals. I want to thank them for seeing my potential and pushing me to achieve my very best. Without the Xsoar High Performance Tennis Program and the other pathway programs that Xsoar has developed for aspiring tennis players, I would never have got to the level I’m at with the prospect of achieving a sports scholarship in America next year.’

‘It has truly been an honour and a privilege to have led the Wesley Tennis Program over all these years and I would like to say a big thank you to Wesley  for instilling their belief in me to drive the Wesley Tennis Program and provide unparalleled tennis opportunities to all students,’ said Lauren. ‘It has been a very rewarding experience investing my 20+ years of experience in the professional tennis industry back into the school which offered me so many opportunities as a student. I look forward to many more fruitful years ahead, driving Wesley Tennis to even greater heights!’

Both teams have again been selected to compete at a national level at the Australian Schools Tennis Challenge at the end of the year. We wish them all the very best for this tournament and the future!

COACHES

Lauren Breadmore

Head of Tennis

Thim Efthimiadis

GIrls Firsts Tennis Coach

Aaron Leeder-Chard

Boys Firsts Tennis Coach

GIRLS FIRST SQUAD

BOYS FIRST SQUAD

Madeleine (Captain)

Oliver (Captain)

Helena (Vice-Captain)

Will (Vice-Captain)

Brooke (Vice-Captain)

Thomas

Sienna (Vice-Captain)

Ryan

Phoebe

Felix

Eva

Marcus

Madelyn

Tianqi

Monet

Henry

Mia

Cameron

Ruby

Harrison

Olivia

Nicolas

Serena

Lucas

Zoe

Hardi

Ysmene

Bruce

Claire

Raymond

Joanna