Back to results

History-making year for Wesley Football with six players selected in the 2022 AFL National Draft and the AFLW

Wesley College Football Program - It's all about building community

It has been a record-breaking year for Wesley College, with four students selected in the 2022 AFL National Draft – Elijah Tsatas, Matt Jefferson, Coby Burgiel and Bailey Macdonald.  This follows the selection of two students – Zoe Savarirayan and Jasmine Fleming, who were drafted into the AFLW earlier this year.

This is the largest number of graduating students to be drafted into the AFL and AFLW in a single year, and our best year since 2011 when five players were selected.

This stellar year highlights the continued strength and depth of Wesley Football, which has flourished over generations, starting in 1897 when the first Wesley footballer, George Moysey, was selected to play for Melbourne.

Brent Thiele, former Player Development Manager and Head of Player Excellence at the North Melbourne Football Club and Head Coach of the Wesley College Football Program since 2016 says, ‘This is really exciting for Wesley College, the Football Program and for the athletes who are fulfilling their sporting dreams,’ he said.

‘Wesley football is thriving, with 300 boys and over 100 girls participating. A dedicated team of over 50 coaches support them regardless of whether they are playing for social reasons, to improve their skills, or aspire to play at an elite level.’

First-round pick at #5 to Essendon, Elijah Tsatas says, ‘It means everything to me to get drafted into the AFL. Wesley football has helped me enormously in my development and the APS competition, which is the strongest in the country, has given me the opportunity to compete against some extremely good players.’

Matt Jefferson, pick #15 to Melbourne agrees. ‘Through the Wesley Football program, I’ve worked with some great coaches who have taught me a lot about the game in general, as well as my own game. It’s been a real team effort and I thank everyone in the football program at Wesley for their support and for giving me the opportunity to realise my dream.’

The Young Lions program

Now in its sixth year, the Young Lions program provides cross-generational mentoring opportunities for First XVIII football players in the Senior School to connect with, and help develop, young Wesley footballers in Year 7.

Senior School players in the Firsts team attend a Year 7 training session, participate in coaching, and provide advice to their mentee on their game throughout the year.  The Young Lions also have the opportunity to attend a First XVIII game and be part of match day - in the rooms, hearing the coaches pre-game speeches and as water carriers.

The impact of the Young Lions program is evident in the community of footballers, past and present. Wesley alumnus and AFL player for the Carlton Football Club, Adam Cerra (OW2017), was delighted to see Eliajah Tsatas picked at #5 in 2022.  Adam was Elijah’s mentor in the Young Lions program when Elijah was in Year 7, and Adam was also selected at pick # 5 when he was drafted to Fremantle in 2017!

Wilson Macdonald, brother of 2022 draftee Bailey, reflects, ‘Being involved in the Young Lions program in Year 7 helped me develop an understanding of what it means to represent the College. It gave me someone to look up to and inspired me to play for the school at the highest level. In my final year, I was privileged to become a mentor. This made my time at Wesley so enjoyable. I know the future of Wesley Football is in good hands.’

Wesley girls take the AFLW world by storm

Just over a week before the 2022 AFLW draft, Zoe Savarirayan was offered a contract with the North Melbourne AFLW team. On 29 June, her teammate Jasmine Fleming was taken at pick no. 2 by Hawthorn in the official AFLW draft.

‘I am so excited to be a part of the AFLW and am looking forward to playing against some of the best female athletes in Australia,’ said Jasmine.  ‘I am very grateful for the opportunity to play football for Wesley. Without the support of the Wesley Football Program, I’m not sure if my pathway into professional football would have been the same,’ she said.

It takes a village

‘Students are drawn to the Wesley Football program because they see the community that’s built around it,’ says Brent.  ‘When students feel they have a place and are treated with respect, they have an opportunity to flourish, not just as footballers but as people.  That’s something we are passionate about at Wesley, right across the College, not just within the football department.’

‘There’s a real sense of family that continues even after students have left the College and we support each other all the way. It’s not unusual to see players that are well-known in the AFL like Toby Greene (OW2011), Adam Cerra (OW2017) and Charlie Dean (OW2019) at the oval on a Saturday afternoon watching the Firsts in action and in Charlie’s case, active in coaching our young players.’

‘2022 has been an incredible year, and we congratulate all of our students on their AFL and AFLW selections,’ said Principal, Nick Evans.

‘These results are testament to the commitment of the coaches and parents who support the Wesley Football program and the hard work and dedication of all of our students. We are so proud of these extraordinary young athletes and wish them every success in the future.’

Elijah Tsatas
Pick 5
Essendon Football Club

Matthew Jefferson
Pick 15
Melbourne Football Club

Coby Burgiel
Pick 29
West Coast Eagles

Bailey Macdonald
Pick 51
Hawthorn Football Club

Zoe Savarirayan
Selected pre-draft
North Melbourne

Jasmine Fleming
Pick 2
Hawthorn Football Club