<< Back to Lion homepage
150 Years of Wesley Rowing: Celebrating in style
Wesley Hudson on the water
U19 Schoolgirls Four
On the water: U17 Schoolboy Eights
U17 Schoolboys Eights
As we celebrate 150 years of rowing at Wesley, it seems the rowing gods are shining on us. Off the success at the APS Head of the River, our crews travelled to Lake Barrington in northern Tasmania to compete at the Australian Rowing Championships from 22 – 28 March. Wesley achieved some stunning results:
- U19 Women’s Coxed Four – Gold (Lucy Thomson, Thea Coull, Christina Kamenev, Zara Lavery, coxed by Fiona Dow)
- Schoolgirls Eight, A Final – Fourth (Leyla Keneally, Saskia Blackburn, Emily Hill, Lauren Mayhood, Lucy Thomson, Thea Coull, Christina Kamenev, Zara Lavery, coxed by Fiona Dow)
- U19 Women’s Coxless Pair A Final – Seventh (Christina Kamenev, Zara Lavery)
- Schoolboys Single Scull A Final – Silver (Wesley Hudson)
- U17 Schoolboys Coxed Eight A Final – Gold (Quentin Marchiori, Max Guthrie, Jeffrey Jiang, Leo Bakhache, Nicholas Bryant, Lachlan Idle, Charlie Johnston, Amos Kirk, coxed by Josh Feferkranz)
- U19 Men’s Coxed Eight A Final – Gold (Nicholas Bryant, Lachlan Idle)
- A number of OWs also competed with outstanding results as members of the Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS), Melbourne University Boat Club (MUBC) and University of Technology Sydney (UTS): Evelyn Dow (OW2020) MUBC; Aaliah Dawson (OW2019) MUBC; Joe Bryant (OW 2020) MUBC; Dom Williams (OW2019) MUBC; Nick Smith (OW2018) MUBC; Rohan Lavery (OW2018) VIS, MUBC; Nick Lavery (OW 2016) VIS, UTS.
Most notable was the Lavery brothers’ win in the prestigious Kings Cup as members of the Victorian Kings Cup crew, an incredible race that saw the NSW and VIC crews separated by only 0.16 sec.
Thanks go to all the coaches who have contributed to such a successful season, making this one of the College’s most successful on record.