Back to results

A headstart to university life for Wesley high achievers

Students communicating on Teams

Knowledge summits, study support and a glimpse into university life… it’s all happening for our Monash Scholars.

Monash Scholars is a prestigious program for high achieving secondary school students. Students apply in Year 10 and have the opportunity to participate in a wide range of programs throughout secondary school. The programs, Monash University says, are designed to ‘give high potential students a unique head start into university life. The program provides opportunities for personal and academic development, as well as giving students the knowledge, skills and confidence to make the right study choices. It also enables them to expand their network of like-minded peers.’

In 2021, Wesley College is thrilled to have a rare three students selected for this highly competitive program, Alba Denton, Jacqueline Jeruzalski and Joanna Ostaff. Currently in Year 10, the students will participate in approximately 20 hours of programs each year for the three-year Scholars program, which concludes at Year 12.

Lucas Dauterman, a Year 11 student at St Kilda Road Campus and current Monash Scholar, has found great insight into university life and the many options available to him in the future.

‘As a member of the Monash Scholars Program, I have the opportunity to enhance my own learning and explore different career ambitions through events and lectures. I gained an understanding of the university lifestyle while making new connections with like-minded and inspiring students from across the state,’ Lucas says.

Prior to COVID-19 restrictions which have limited access to universities, Lucas was able to attend a few events at Monash University’s Clayton Campus and enjoyed meeting other Scholars. The program has continued online with lectures and forums, with Year 11 and 12 preparation for Year 10 students, study support for some VCE subjects and a knowledge summit.

The lectures and seminars have been of great interest to Lucas. ‘I’ve been able to expand my knowledge in topics important to society, such as equality, diversity and social connection.’

He’s been inspired to develop his social networks further in the future, and while has not yet made a firm decision on his pathway post-Wesley he has a better understanding of what’s available to him. ‘Wesley has opened my horizons to multiple paths. I’ve embraced various opportunities to discover the areas which I am passionate about, both academically and beyond my academics.’

His passion for maths, science and business is pointing him towards a career in Medicine or Commerce, or possibly both. In any case, what he’s learned so far from the program he’s been able to apply to his day-to-day life at school already, and he’s loved the challenge of being a Scholar. There’s much for Alba, Jacqueline and Joanna to look forward to then!