Back to results

The coeducational experience

Girls and boys sound mixing in studio

A coeducational school provides, 'a microcosm of society' for students to learn in, as one student puts it. It closely reflects the real world and focuses on developing friendships, working relationships and an understanding of other perspectives and diversity, no matter the other person's gender. Our most recent graduates reflect here on their experiences of learning in a coeducational environment.

At Wesley, we believe coeducation is the best way to prepare girls and boys for the world in which they will live. Its central to our philosophy and vision, and part of our drive to encourage students to learn to ‘live with’ and ‘learn with’ others who may have different perspectives or experiences.

Our Class of 2020, who achieved great success after what has been a difficult year worldwide, reflected recently on their learning environment at Wesley College.

Our teachers aim to create an environment that is safe and supportive, one where every girl and boy feels confident to express themselves and their views, so it's no surprise that for many students, they developed an appreciation of the diverse perspectives that come from learning side-by-side with girls and boys. For our newest graduates, one thing they really valued about their time at Wesley is the mutual respect, understanding and support that they were able to cultivate for one another.

So let’s hear from our graduates, as they reflect on their time at Wesley

A familiar face to music families at Wesley, Indigo Casablanca, who graduated in 2020, was involved in numerous coeducational music ensembles. ‘Music was a fun way to connect with other students and take a break from studying in Year 12,’ she says. ‘I benefited from attending a coeducational school because I believe that it emulates the real world more closely than a single-sex school. As a result, I am able to work well with males, and feel well prepared for university and beyond.’

Indigo

Likewise, Kirby Wraith echoes Indigo’s sentiments. ‘I feel more prepared for university and the workforce,’ he says, due in part to the experience of learning alongside his female peers. ‘I have already been presented with the perspectives of one entire half of humanity!'

Kirby

Grace Danielson prefers the balance and inclusiveness of a coeducational environment. 'Having experienced both unisex and coeducational environments, I am glad to have undertaken my IB diploma in Wesley’s coed setting,' Grace says. 'In my opinion, coed classrooms more closely simulate real life environments and enable students to develop necessary skills for professional settings. I feel Wesley fostered a balanced and embracing coed environment, as I always felt free to contribute to class discussions.'

Sarah Gordon found that many of her friends at school just happened to be boys. A coeducational or diverse environment is ‘essential’, Sarah says, and part of what will prepare her for working with others in the future. At Wesley she felt she was able to develop the ability to talk to both boys and girls and lessen any perceived divide between the sexes.

sarah gordon

That perceived divide often comes up when talking about girls and their ability to succeed in STEM subjects and a male-dominated industry. Some argue that girls are restricted in coeducational classes, particularly STEM classes, and that boys overpower their voices. The experience for Harper Hamilton-Grutzner and girls like her couldn’t be further from that assumption. It was in her Chemistry and Biology classes that she found her voice: ‘Coeducation allowed me to learn how to speak up for myself, especially in my STEM classes.’

In fact, nearly 10 per cent of the girls from Wesley's 2020 cohort will go on to pursue further study and STEM careers.

Harper

For some students, the coeducational environment was crucial and one of the most important reasons they chose Wesley. Diana Liang, a Chinese international student, was initially attracted to Wesley as it was a coeducational school. After joining Wesley in 2017 and graduating in 2020, Diana reflects that ‘it allowed me to meet a wider range of people than a girls’ school, and it also helped me develop social skills that I’ll need in the future.’

Graduate Chet Mims sums it up well: you’re encouraged to just be yourself at Wesley, and that makes you understand and accept other perspectives and people. ‘Wesley has given me the opportunity to meet and get along with so many different people,’ he says. ‘It’s a school where you are accepted and encouraged to be yourself. I’ve been in bands, musicals and played sport, and I’ve really enjoyed the academic program in the classroom. Wesley is a school that encourages and recognises academic curiosity, and I’ve loved the classroom banter between my teachers and friends. I’ve had so many opportunities and shared my journey with an amazing group of boys and girls. I’ve got so many strong friendships and I’ve had a great time.’

Chet Mims