Rennie Coutts STEM Scholarship for Girls
Rennie Coutts STEM Scholarships for 2024 entry are now closed
Rennie Coutts scholarship applications for 2025 entry will open late in 2023.
The Rennie Coutts STEM Scholarship provides an extraordinary opportunity for girls and young women to nurture their passion for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). Wesley College is one of Australia’s largest coeducational schools, with unique curriculum opportunities and access to programs designed to develop and sustain girls’ interest in STEM.
This scholarship recognises the late Rennie Coutts, an advocate of girls’ education in a coeducational environment and a passionate supporter of the pursuit of excellence in the fields of maths and science. Rennie was a teacher by vocation and the former Director of Pre School Centres Victoria as well as being a passionate advocate for women's pursuit of careers in the fields of STEM.
Scholarships may be awarded between 25%-75% reduction in tuition fees for the duration of the student’s time at the College.
The Academic test will be held in early February 2023. Details of test date and time will be published when scholarships open in late 2023.
To be eligible for the Rennie Coutts STEM Scholarship for Girls, applicants must:
- be an Australian citizen or a temporary or permanent resident visa holder
- be a new female student entering Years 7 or 9 at the Elsternwick Campus, or entering Years 7, 9, 10 or 11 at the St Kilda Road or Glen Waverley Campus in 2025
- demonstrate an interest in, and aptitude for, STEM
- sit the academic test and the supplementary 30-minute science-based written exercise in early February 2024. Applicants sitting the test will be in Year 6, 8, 9 or 10
All applicants should register for the academic test to apply for the Rennie Coutts STEM Scholarship for Girls. Applicants entering Year 7 or 10 will also be considered for an Academic Excellence scholarship should they be unsuccessful in receiving a Rennie Coutts STEM Scholarship.
The following documents are required for your application to be processed:
- the applicant’s most recent school report
- a recent photograph of the applicant
- For students applying for years 7, 9 or 10, their most current NAPLAN results
- a statement from the applicant outlining their motivation for applying for the Rennie Coutts STEM Scholarship for Girls. Accepted file formats include: PNG, JPG, PDF, DOC and DOCX
- Evidence of participation and achievement in STEM related programs and activities eg relevant clubs or competitions
- A letter of reference from a teacher, mentor or tutor outlining the candidates skill and potential in STEM.
These documents will be submitted with the online application on the Edutest website. Please ensure all documents are saved with the applicant’s name.
The Rennie Coutts STEM Scholarship for Girls is awarded on the results of the academic test and written science task, academic records, letter of reference and an interview with Head of Campus (or delegate). Interviews are held both in person and via video conference, depending on the applicant’s location. No other supporting documentation or testing/academic results will be considered.
Applicants are assessed using a combination of the following selection criteria:
- academic test and written science task
- excellent academic records
- participation and achievement in STEM related programs and activities
- letter of reference
STEP 1. CREATE AN EDUTEST ACCOUNT
When the scholarship application process is open, revisit this page and click on Wesley's EduTest Scholarship Application Form which will take you to the Edutest website where you will be asked to create an Edutest account.
STEP 2. COMPLETE THE EDUTEST SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM
Once you have created an Edutest account, you will be able to complete the scholarship application form and pay a one-off registration fee of $90.00 for each candidate for whom you are applying.
We encourage candidates to apply for all relevant scholarship categories to increase the opportunity for consideration across all available scholarships. These include:
- Academic Excellence scholarships
- Rennie Coutts STEM Scholarships for girls
- General Excellence Scholarships including all categories of excellence
A link to upload supporting documentation will be provided in the Edutest Confirmation Email upon successful submission of the scholarship application form.
STEP 3. FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
All Wesley College Scholarships are awarded on merit, recognising students’ existing talents, achievements and academic performance as well as their potential to contribute to the College community.
You may apply for financial assistance as part of your scholarship application. The financial assistance component of our scholarship program seeks to provide additional support for families with demonstrated financial need and relevant personal circumstances seeking the opportunity of a Wesley education.
The link to the optional Financial Assistance form will be available via a confirmation email that will be sent upon completion and submission of the EduTest Scholarship application form.
The Scholarship application form, including supporting documentation and if relevant, the financial assistance form, must be completed and submitted by the closing date which will be published when 2025 scholarships open in late 2023.
STEP 4. REGISTER FOR THE ACADEMIC TEST
Upon completion of the EduTest Scholarship Application Form you will receive an email containing a link to register to sit the relevant Academic Test early February 2024. Complete the Academic Test registration form.
The academic test covers a range of disciplines including numerical reasoning, reading comprehension and mathematics.
Please visit the EduTest website or call 03 9014 1411 to find out about:
- how to prepare using practice tests
- the remote testing service for students who are interstate, overseas or remote from the testing venue
- what happens if your child is sick on testing day.
STEP 5. SIT THE ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE TEST AND SCIENCE TASKS
Details of the test will be published when 2025 scholarships open in late 2023.
Applicants for the Rennie Coutts STEM Scholarship for Girls will complete the Academic Test as well as a supplementary 30-minute science-based written exercise.
STEP 6. INTERVIEW
Shortlisted applicants are invited for an interview with the Head of Campus (or delegate). Interviews are held both in person or via video conference, depending on the applicant’s location.
STEP 7. SCHOLARSHIP OFFER AND OUTCOME
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted within three weeks of the academic testing date. Please note, results from the academic testing are unable to be released to families.
Successful applicants will be sent a letter of offer via email. To formally accept, applicants must sign the letter of offer and pay a one-off confirmation fee of $1,200 and Tuition Contribution fee of $2,800. These fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Unsuccessful applicants are welcome to reapply for a scholarship in future years, where eligibility criteria are met.