Back to results

Boarder Mylah makes debut on Wesley College’s Firsts netball team

Since first picking up a netball at four years of age, Mylah (Year 10) has been shooting for the stars.  Despite only making the move from Yarrawonga to board at Wesley College in Melbourne this year, she has already earned a coveted spot on the competitive Firsts netball team in the APS school sporting competition.

‘I loved playing for Yarrawonga but there are so many advantages to playing netball at Wesley,’ she said. ‘The facilities are awesome and being a boarder, I’m lucky to have the gym and the netball courts right at my doorstep. It’s so easy for me to wake up before school and practice.’ A personal trainer and Pilates sessions just for boarders are also popular activities amongst students.

‘Although I've only been playing for a short time at Wesley, the experience of my coach – who is involved in the Pathways program for Netball Victoria – has already been beneficial to my growth as a player,’ said Mylah.

Outside school hours, the residential curriculum provides a range of programs that support boarders’ intellectual, social and physical development. Boarders have access to a structured evening program of academic extension including small group tutorials and individual learning assistance provided by academic tutors, experienced College teaching staff and mentors. Their curriculum also covers employment preparation and career coaching, life skills, community service, leadership, physical health and fitness and holistic wellbeing.

‘The residential curriculum is unique. Every weekend, there are different activities we can participate in, like horse riding, going to see an AFL match, go- karting and lots more. They’re very fun and have helped me build relationships with other boarders too,’ she said. ‘My first term at Wesley College has been very enjoyable. The support from Wesley staff has helped me find my feet quickly and settle in well.’