Back to results

Making the most of boarding

Inspired by her sister Ella, who graduated in 2020, Lara recently made the move to Wesley's Learning in Residence boarding facility from Hamilton in regional Victoria.

Lara started boarding in Year 9

‘Whenever Ella came home during the holidays, she always had a new experience to share, which made me want to go to Wesley more and more,’ Lara says. ‘She told me a lot about the people she had met and what she had done that term – which really showed me what opportunities I had waiting for me.’

Lara started boarding at Wesley in Year 9, eager to participate in the Clunes experiential learning program, an experience Wesley is renowned for. Students study for eight weeks in the Wesley campus at Clunes, immersing themselves in a unique experience that blends experiential learning, shared living, community engagement and social and emotional learning opportunities.

This year she hopes to take part in more of Wesley’s experiential learning programs in outback Western Australia, and to take full advantage of the cocurricular program. She’s started playing softball, and was recently accepted onto the top level Firsts team as catcher.

‘I love how Wesley supports students in all their different pursuits and interests, whether it be sport, drama or music.’ Lara says. ‘The school I went to in the country was small and it kind of felt like everyone had to be the same. I just wanted something different.’

Ella and Lara's family are sheep farmers on a property near Hamilton. They looked around Victoria before deciding on Wesley after seeing the wonderful new facilities for boarding and the support that the favourable student-to-staff ratios could provide.

Lara has found great support at Wesley for her academic goals. ‘Last year, in Year 9, we spent an hour each weekday studying, with a tutor to help us. That helped me so much while I was adjusting to the academic expectations of a new school.

‘There are also after school programs for a variety of subjects where you can get extra help. I’ve found my class teachers very approachable, and they are happy to help if you need assistance away from class time too.’

Lara’s advice to other students considering boarding is to go for it! ‘You’ll make so many friends, build your confidence in so many situations and be really well prepared for university and life ahead. You will have so many life experiences that you might not ever get anywhere else.’