Back to results

Senior School Play 'The Crucible'

The Senior School play is a highlight for performing arts students at Wesley College. It’s one of many performance opportunities students receive within the performing arts and music calendar, but it is also one of the most complex.

‘The Senior Play is an intellectual theatre/literature exercise where students are encouraged to explore complex themes and characters which help shape a sophisticated view of the world,’ David Dunn, Head of Student Theatre at Glen Waverley Campus said.

Arthur Miller’s 1953 play, The Crucible, has become an enduring classic and is currently playing to critical acclaim in London at the National Theatre. ‘What makes a great play? A play that has something important to say, that stands the test of time and that impinges on our understanding of the environment in which we live,’ David said. ‘The Crucible certainly adheres to the convention.’

For students, bringing a production together can be a thrilling learning experience. ‘Being part of all Wesley has to offer in the performing arts has been a lot of fun and such a great learning experience,’ Year 11 student Amelia, who played Judge Hawthorne, said. ‘It helps push me and challenges me to step further outside my comfort zone. I enjoy entertaining people and I love to be on stage, but I also enjoy the teamwork aspect of preparing and putting on a performance.’

‘Performing, whether it’s singing, dancing or acting is what I love,’ Amelia said.

Glen Waverley Campus presented their Senior School Play The Crucible in Term 1.

Performing Arts at Wesley