Back to results

Flora finds a ‘Fun Home’ on the stage

Congratulations to Year 6 St Kilda Road Campus student and singer/actor/dancer Flora Feldman, who is currently starring in the principal role of small Alison in the Melbourne Theatre Company’s production of Fun Home.

Fun Home, directed by Dean Bryant (OW1993), is a multi-Tony Award-winning musical adaptation of Alison Bechdel’s bestselling graphic novel about growing up and coming out.

Moving between past and present, Alison relives a childhood spent playing games in the family’s funeral home, her growing understanding of her own sexuality and the questions (without answers) about her father’s hidden desires.

‘I like that the character of small Alison is really creative like me and believes in what she thinks is right, although I’m definitely not as bossy as she is!’ said Flora. ‘The play has a really strong message that it’s okay to be yourself, because who you are is great!’

Working with Director Dean Bryant, who has enjoyed a stellar career since graduating from Wesley in 1993, was a great experience as he encouraged Flora to make the character of small Alison her own.

‘I really like working with kids because I find them very honest and very open to the wonder of what you're doing,’ said Dean. ‘Flora was interesting to work with. She really likes to know what she's doing before she can fully inhabit the character. It was fascinating seeing her with the preview audience because she was amazing!’

Flora started performing when she was eight years old, following in the footsteps of her brothers who are both actors, so it’s always been a part of their family.

When not performing in a show, Flora’s week includes four hours of ballet, one hour of jazz, one hour of singing and two hours of drama. Not surprisingly, she has little time left for other activities, although she is really keen to join the girls football team!

Flora came to Wesley in 2021 after a tour of the school brought her to the Adamson Theatre. ‘Wesley has so many opportunities, you can do anything you want to do!’ she said. But her family knows how important it is to maintain a balance.

'It’s important to not over-schedule Flora because we want to allow her to be a kid and have life experiences,' explained Flora’s Mum, Zoe Arnott. ‘These experiences will ultimately serve her well if she does pursue acting as a career, as so much of acting is drawn from one’s experiences.’

‘We knew that accepting the role of small Alison would mean she would miss a fair bit of school, so we had to work out how best to manage that,’ said Zoe.

‘I spoke to Rob Gow, Head of Middle School at the St Kilda Road Campus, who was just fantastic. He said ‘The kids have lost so much and missed so much during the last two years through COVID-19. We will do everything in our power to support you and Flora to make this happen and he did!’

‘We are so proud of her,’ said Zoe. ‘She is so fortunate to have had so many opportunities come her way at such a young age and to have worked with such amazing people.’

‘I hope she can continue having fun and take up these amazing opportunities.  She loves performing but she is quite political too, so that’s another aspiration she has.’

‘I have chosen to do this because I love it,’ says Flora.  ‘When your hobby becomes your job, it doesn’t feel like work at all.  When I grow up, I want to be a singer, an actor or a politician. I want to stop climate change because it’s such a big problem!’

The future is certainly looking bright for Flora. You can see Flora in action in Fun Home at the Arts Centre Melbourne, Playhouse until 5 March.

Photos by Jeff Busby