Back to results

Ben Walter shines in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Gareth Reeves as Harry Potter and Ben Walter as Albus Potter. Photo: Daniel Boud

A most definitely magical night out, the stage show Harry Potter and the Cursed Child has taken Melbourne by storm, selling out months in advance and introducing countless newcomers to the joys of live theatre. And right at the centre is our very own Ben Walter (OW2015) in the lead role of Albus Potter, son of Harry.

The ‘magical world’ of theatre – it’s no exaggeration when you’re talking about Harry Potter. From flying Dementors to epic wand fights, flames on stage and immersive, large-scale sets, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, the stage-based sequel to the best-selling Harry Potter book series is an extravaganza, but it all comes down to old-fashioned theatre techniques. And a bit of magic, of course.

Behind the scenes of ‘Cursed Child’

Ben is uniquely placed to see both sides of the stage, having worked for several years after graduation as a backstage assistant at Wesley’s theatre company at the St Kilda Road Campus, Adamson Theatre Company, and through his career as a professional actor.

The Cursed Child set is astonishing; the effects, tricks, and pieces of automation are truly jaw-dropping. The tricks and illusions that make the show so magical aren’t thanks to expensive bits of technology. It’s old-school theatre trickery, clever lighting and props – all put together by an exceptional ensemble of actors and world class crew.’

‘What I love most is the design principles that make this set great are the same principles that make any theatrical set great: it’s designed and built to be appreciated by hundreds of strangers sitting together in the dark. The biggest accomplishment of the technical side of the show is how seamlessly it serves such a deeply human story.’

Ben Walter works with Cursed Child dialect coach, Geraldine Cook. Photo: Damien Bennett
The Potter legacy

‘I find playing Albus Potter a really unique challenge,’ Ben says. ‘As a character, Albus struggles to form his own identity, feeling as though he is trapped by his dad, Harry Potter, and his formidable legacy within the Wizarding World.’

These themes of growing up remain universal. ‘Jack Thorne, J.K Rowling and John Tiffany have developed a really rich and nuanced portrait of a young man desperately trying to be seen and understood by his dad,’ Ben says of his character, the son of the famed, and now grown-up, Harry Potter. ‘As an actor that’s a real gift to explore and an experience that I am thoroughly enjoying thus far; enjoyment which has as much to do with the writing as with the exceptional company who I share the stage with every night.’

Aisha Adara as Rose Granger-Weasley, Nyx Calder as Scorpius Malfoy and Ben Walter as Albus Potter in the Australian production of Cursed Child. Photo: Damien Bennett

Read more about performing arts at Wesley

A true education

‘I certainly fell in love with theatre and found value and purpose in it during my time at Wesley.’ Ben says.

His first role at Wesley was as a disgruntled elephant in Middle School, hidden at the back of the group ‘because I couldn’t get the grin off my face’. By the time he was in Senior School, Ben was playing his own version of Jack Nicholson’s Daryl Van Horne in the 2014 Senior School musical The Witches of Eastwick and finally Javert in Les Misérables in Year 12.

The culture of the performing arts community at Wesley, and the energy the College itself puts into to its performing arts program as a whole are a standout for Ben. ‘At Wesley, having such support in my formative years has allowed for the subsequent enthusiasm with which I’ve approached my work as a professional in the industry – something for which I’ll always be deeply thankful.’

The beginning of a new theatre company

Ben founded his theatre company, Patalog Theatre, in 2017, just two years after graduating from high school. He had been producing work right up until being cast in Cursed Child. The critically acclaimed production of Punk Rock in 2019 by Simon Stephens at fortyfivedownstairs really put Patalog on the map.

‘That and Tusk Tusk by Polly Stenham earlier that year, which featured Markella Kavenagh (OW2018), an astonishing actor and dear friend who continues to shoot the lights out on our screens,’ Ben adds.

‘Including Tusk Tusk, every single one of the four shows I’ve produced with Patalog has employed someone who I’d worked with in the theatre at Wesley – a fact that ought not to come as a surprise to anyone who has seen the dedication and passion fostered by the ATC.’

‘Perhaps, to some, the way I speak about my experience of high school theatre may seem a little overstated. But it meant just as much to me then as it does now.’

Read more about Ben's recent visit to Wesley College