Back to results

Book Week 2020

Students and staff dressed up as book characters for Book Week

With students back on campus, Book Week was a delightful time to celebrate storytelling and literature together, as Kathryn Hand tells us.

Book characters came to life as Children’s Book Week was celebrated across each of the campuses in October.

At St Kilda Road, students enjoyed a presentation by author Martin Ed Chatterton. Martin presented a ‘live’ virtual presentation to our Years 5,6 and 7 students. Martin’s presentations were inspirational and entertaining as he spoke about how to be heard and the ingredients of a story, with a sprinkle of audience participation. Martin’s latest picture story book Winter of the White Bear is soon to be made into an animated feature film. The children were delighted to see a short excerpt as a preview.'

Daniella, Year 6, gave a glowing review: 'I absolutely loved the presentation. It was interesting, impressive and best of all super funny. Learning about his childhood story was great and I found it super surprising to see the bringing up of such an amazing writer. It was also impressive to see all the behind the scenes work that goes on and seeing all the different jobs he has. I quite envy him because every day would be a new adventure for him! Overall, my only complaint would be that the presentation was too short, 1 hour seemed like such little time for such an engaging presentation. I can’t wait for the animated movie to come out and to be able to say I saw the preview before it even came out!'

'I had a lot of fun participating in Book Week for 2020. I really enjoyed listening to Martin Chatterton. I liked how he showed different trailers for his books and explained about how to write and create the plot of a story. I also enjoyed contributing to fun class activities connected to Book Week.  I would like to thank everyone who helped to arrange and organise Book Week for us,' Mira, Year 7 said.

Kathryn Hand is the St Kilda Road Campus Library Coordinator

Two students dressed as book characters for Book WeekTwo students standing dressed as book characters for Book Week

Students dressed up as their favourite book characters.

Year 2 class dancing in the library

A highlight for Year 2 at the Glen Waverley Campus was a virtual live performance from Perform Education in the library.